A sewer backup is a nasty surprise that nobody enjoys, and it seems to show up at the worst time. There are 3 main culprits that cause most household sewer clogs. It’s important to pay attention to sewage backups. If it happens once, it’s probably just a simple matter that you can handle on your own. But if you experience repeated backups, call a plumber immediately.
Indoor flooding is the most common type of disaster that people experience in their homes. There are many factors that can cause indoor flooding including weather conditions such as floods and heavy rain as well as leaks, pipe bursts, and overflows. Indoor floods have the potential to cause widespread damage to your furnishings and personal items and they can result in serious structural damage as building materials like wood and drywall absorb excess water. The damage caused by a flood requires you to file an insurance claim but the claims process can be just as stressful as dealing with the flood itself. The following tips will help you get through the insurance claims process for flood damage.
- Review your Insurance Policy: Not all homeowner’s insurance policies include flood insurance to cover this type of damage. You must review your insurance policy to understand what type of coverage it provides for flooding. Flood insurance policies are available separately from your homeowner’s insurance.
- Contact Insurance Provider: Call your insurance company right away to report the damage and make a claim.
- Document the Damage: Record the damage by taking photos and videos before the cleanup begins. You will need to show evidence of the damage to the claims adjustor.
- Call Our Professionals: Call ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning for flood damage restoration.We have the training and equipment to remove standing flood water and dry the affected materials to prevent permanent damage and mold growth.
- Don’t Throw Anything Away: Do not throw away any objects that have been damaged, you need to show all damaged items to the claims adjustor.
- Provide Important Information: You need to present the following information when making a flood damage insurance claim:
- Date and cause of the flooding
- Location of the damage
- Your personal contact information and/ or contact information for the owner of the property
- Estimates for flood damage cleanup
- Receipts for costs related to repairs and restoration
- Receipts for additional expenses if you are forced to leave your home such as hotels
- A list of all damaged items including personal belongings, furniture, and structural elements of your home
- Keep Records of All Interactions: You must keep a record of every interaction you have with your insurance provider including phone conversations and face to face meetings. Record the date and time of the meeting, who you talked to, and a description of the interaction. Make sure to keep copies of written communication including emails.
The usual homeowner’s insurance policy doesn’t cover floods. If you live in a flood zone make sure you purchase a separate flood insurance.
After a major flood or other flood disaster, it may take longer to receive your claim check.
Flood Damage Restoration
Flooding in your home can quickly cause deep, widespread damage which is why you should call a restoration professional immediately and begin the insurance claims process as soon as possible. Our technicians at ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning provide expert water damage restoration services to remove flood water from homes and businesses and get the affected areas and objects completely dried. If you experience flooding in your home, start following these steps to get your insurance claims process started and call us at (800) 303-5844 for emergency restoration services.