You may have heard about the Houston house fire of Space Shuttle Challenger astronaut Ronald McNair's widow on the news or Inside Edition. Her name is Cheryl McNair, and she was kind enough to share her story with us. She was so impressed with the rapid response of our ServiceMaster staff.
Mold grows best in areas with excess moisture and with boiling pots of water, leaking faucets, soggy trash cans and sinks turning on and off frequently, it’s no wonder mold loves kitchens.
ServiceMaster Mold Prevention and Kitchen Safety Tips
1. Empty small trash cans daily. They can easily grow mold within days. Empty them into a central garbage can, preferably outside, with a secure lid to prevent leaks. If you keep a compost can in the kitchen, empty it frequently.
2. Check the refrigerator regularly for spoiled food. Throw away or compost immediately. To avoid wasting food, buy only what you need for a few days at a time. Use up vegetables that are near their expiration date in a soup or stir fry.
3. Wash cutting boards weekly with vinegar to prevent mold and bacteria growth. Make sure they dry thoroughly.
4. Turn on exhaust fans when you work in the kitchen to prevent a buildup of humid air. Mold spores are always present in the air, and a good source of moisture will encourage them to grow.
5. Clean up wet areas immediately. It only takes a few days for mold to grow, faster than water can evaporate.
6. Check around the kitchen sink, faucets and under the sink for leaks and puddles on a regular basis. A small leak can go unnoticed for weeks, until mold has been growing long enough to cover the inside of a cabinet.
7. Check the moisture in your kitchen and other areas of your home with a moisture meter. If the levels change, there may be a leak.
Watch the Video
If you find mold growing in your home or business in Katy, TX, call the experts at ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning. We provide comprehensive mold remediation services for residential and commercial clients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our professionals arrive quickly to stop the spread of the mold and remove it so the air is safe to breathe again.
Remediation costs vary, depending on the extent of the mold infestation.