Since mold spores aggravate vulnerable immune systems in humans and weaken building structures, property owners are well advised to address mold growth immediately. Professional mold remediation experts should be contacted to eliminate the presence of mold inside the home. Learn about our 5 step mold removal process.
There are many potential causes of a house fire and electric fires are among the most common and the most dangerous. Electric fires can happen in an instant and they can start in hidden areas of the home because so much of the wiring is behind walls and ceilings. All it takes is a faulty wire, malfunctioning appliance, or water on the wires to cause an electrical fire that can engulf your entire home. Fortunately, electric fires are very preventable if you do regular electrical inspections in your home to check for any potential issues.
The following fire safety tips will help you prevent electric fires in your home.
- Turn off Power: Before doing any kind of electrical inspection or project, turn off the power at the main breaker. Make sure to call an electrician if you are unsure of any work that needs to be done on your electrical system.
- Check the Outlets: The outlets in your home should be the right kind of outlets according to the building codes of your area. Check to see that each outlet in your home is properly installed and that there is plenty of space between the outlets and any flammable objects. There should be between 6 and 12 inches of clearance space around each outlet. Don’t forget to check the condition of the face plates.
- React to Flickering Lights: If the lights in your home are flickering, this may be a sign of a deeper electrical problem. In this instance you should call an electrician.
- Extension Cord Use: Extension cords should never be used as a permanent power source. If you are using an extension cord for something, do not run them under furniture, carpeting, rugs, or other flammable materials.
- Power Strip Use: Do not plug too many things into a single power strip or outlet at once.
- Use Safety Covers: Put plastic safety covers over all outlets that are not being used. This is especially important if you have young children.
Fire Safety – Electrical Inspection Tips – ServiceMaster Video
Electrical issues are one of the top causes of house fires but doing a routine electrical inspection will help prevent electric fires. If you do experience fire damage in your home in the Houston, TX area, make sure to call us right away for fire damage restoration services. We are available 24 hours a day at (800) 303-5844 to provide emergency fire damage restoration.