Any sign of a roof leak requires immediate attention. Without prompt water damage restoration, mold growth starts in as fast as 48 hours. Look for those causes and signs of roof leaks.
Most people know that mold thrives in places like basements and bathrooms, but garages are also a prime spot for growth. Garages aren’t sealed against the elements as well as houses, so water can seep in when it rains. Every time the overhead door opens, leaves, water, and spores blow in or are brought in on your car or clothing. There’s little natural lighting in garages and there are usually ceiling tiles, cardboard, drywall, or other places for mold growth. That’s all mold needs to start growing. Most people don’t spend much time in their garages, so mold can spread undetected until they begin to notice structural damage or changes in their health.
Preventing mold growth
There are several ways to help keep mold from growing in your garage:
- When building or remodeling your garage, use materials that resist mildew instead of drywall.
- Use only mildew-proof or water resistant paint on walls, ceilings and floors.
- Use plastic storage totes instead of cardboard. Plastic resists mold and protects the contents as well.
- Make sure there’s adequate ventilation and sunlight, if possible. Move items away from windows to allow light to enter.
- Use a humidifier to remove excess moisture from the air.
- Remove standing water with a squeegee or mop.
Cleaning mold on your own can be risky. Chemical cleaning products must be used in a well ventilated space, especially ones containing bleach. Never combine bleach and ammonia – the fumes are extremely dangerous. Protective gear such as gloves and masks should be worn to avoid exposure to dangerous spores which can irritate eyes, sinuses, and lungs as well as worsen allergies and asthma. It’s very easy to spread mold spores on your clothes or shoes into your home or business.
Professional mold removal and costs
If you find mold in your garage, or anywhere in your home or business in Houston, TX, it’s best to call the professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning. We are trained and registered by the State of Texas to provide high quality mold remediation services. Our licensed managers will work with you to create a comprehensive, affordable program to eradicate every trace of mold from your home or business.
Mold remediation costs vary, depending on the extent of the infestation and any damage to the structure or contents.