This week marks one year since Hurricane Harvey devastated Houston, flooding homes and drowning out entire neighborhoods. The area is still recovering from the extensive damage. Thank you to The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund and all organizations and people who supported the restoration efforts. Check out some of our articles with information about Harvey and hurricane preparedness.
Mold is literally everywhere. The spores exist naturally in the air and when they find favorable conditions, indoors or out, these spores will quickly form into mold colonies. This constant presence of mold spores in the air is what makes keeping mold growth out of your home so challenging. If the spores find an area of your home that provides it with moisture and an organic food source such as cellulose, it won’t take long for mold colonies to appear.
The presence of mold in your home can lead to some very serious issues. Mold colonies will immediately start to damage the surfaces they grow on because these surfaces are used by the mold as a food source. The damage may be minor at first such as discoloration and warping, but over time the mold can weaken affected surfaces enough to cause serious structural damage. This can be especially dangerous when mold colonies form and spread in hidden areas such as behind walls. The damage from hidden mold is not usually apparent until long after the mold growth has taken hold.
Your property isn’t the only thing at risk with mold growth, the health of you and your family is also in jeopardy. Exposure to mold spores has been linked to a range of allergic reactions including skin problems, runny or stuffy nose, eye irritation, coughing, and throat irritation among others. It is also possible for people who are exposed to mold for long periods of time to develop asthma and respiratory infections.
Mold Removal Services
Mold is not a problem you should let linger on your property. The longer you allow mold to grow and spread, the higher the risk for serious structural damage and health issues. You should never try to clean up significant mold growth yourself either because you can make the problem worse. Improper cleaning methods will aggravate the mold and cause it to disperse its spores which will spread the growth and increase the risk of related health effects. It is crucial that you call a mold removal professional such as ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning right away.
Mold Safety – What Services Are Provided – ServiceMaster Restore – Watch the video
The mold remediation specialists of ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning are licensed by the State of Texas to provide effective mold removal services. You can expect the following from these services:
- Containment: The first priority when it comes to mold remediation is containing the mold growth to stop its spread. The affected areas are immediately isolated to keep the unaffected areas of your property mold free.
- Mold Inspection: Mold can grow practically anywhere in your home and cause damage to the surfaces and materials it grows on. Our professionals will do a thorough mold inspection to look for signs of mold in hidden areas such as behind drywall, in the HVAC system, and under the floor.
- Replace Damaged Materials: We will clean and restore structural elements and building materials that are affected by the mold. If these materials are too heavily damaged, we will remove and replace them.
- Outside Inspection: Mold growth in the home is generally a sign of an underlying moisture issue. We will check the outside of your home including the gutters, spigots, and foundation for moisture issues that could contribute to mold growth.
Mold Removal Cost
Mold removal can be an intense project depending on the extent of the mold growth. Some cases of mold remediation cost homeowners thousands of dollars to get their homes back to normal. One of the best ways to prevent expensive mold removal is to notice and react to mold growth immediately before it can cause significant damage.
Mold Safety – What Are The Financial Costs of Mold – ServiceMaster Restore – Watch the video
Make sure you check your home for these signs of mold growth:
- Dark Spots: Most types of mold appear as dark spots on the affected surfaces such as walls, floors, and ceilings. You should always be on the lookout for dark spots on these surfaces.
- Musty Odors: Mold colonies give off a distinct musty odor that is relatively easy to identify. If you notice a musty odor, try to determine where the smell is coming from and look for other signs of mold.
- Health Effects: As mentioned above, exposure to mold can lead to a range of health issues including coughing, breathing issues, nasal congestion, skin irritation, and even asthma or respiratory infections. If you or someone in your home experiences these symptoms, it could be due to mold.
By looking for these signs of mold and calling a mold remediation professional at the first sight of mold growth, you can help prevent serious and expensive damage. The mold remediation professionals of ServiceMaster Restoration and Cleaning are licensed by the State of Texas to provide mold removal services that comply with the rules and regulations of House Bill 329. Give us a call at (800) 303-5844 if your home or business in the Houston, TX area has been affected by mold.